Talking About Family Court Proceedings

A Serious Matter: Child Support And Your Obligation

Divorce tears families apart, and the most innocent victims of this parting can be the children of the relationship. In most cases, the parent who ends up without physical custody of a minor child must pay financial support for that child. The law takes child support obligations very seriously, and the rules and regulations can be strict and unforgiving for those who fail to do so themselves. Read on to find out more information about your child support obligation.

Put your child first. The family courts place the well-being and health of minor children on a very high priority, and the penalties for failing to make your child support payments can be punitive. Before you consider letting your payments lapse, consider the following possible punishments for failing to make your payments as ordered.

Punishments for failing to make child support payments:

  • Loss of wages: Your pay is subject to garnishment if you fall behind on the child support payments.
  • Your property may be at risk: Real estate can be subject to liens for not paying child support.
  • Loss of income tax refunds
  • Being charged with contempt of court.
  • Having your driver's license revoked.
  • Losing your government assistance, such as food stamps, disability payments and housing assistance.
  • Losing your qualification for government-backed loans, such as FHA, USDA and VA mortgage loans and student loans.
  • Jail time. You can be arrested for failing to make child support payments.

A nationwide obligation. While the actual amount of child support is based on your state's median income levels and the authority to collect back child support is at the local level, the actual enforcement of child support payments is actually a federal matter. This means that moving from the state where the support order was issued does not remove the responsibility from you; all states have the power to enforce child support provisions. If it can be shown that you moved to another state in an attempt to avoid your child support obligation, you may be subject to prosecution under the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act.

When you fall behind: Don't just ignore your situation if you cannot make your payment as ordered. Contact your local enforcement agency and make arrangements to get up to date. If you are experiencing a change in income through loss of a job or other issues, such as illness, you may need to request a more permanent change in the child support order. Contact a family law attorney, like Kelm & Reuter, P.A., for assistance in filing a request for a hearing, where you can show proof of a hardship or change in income.

About Me

Talking About Family Court Proceedings

Hello, my name is Bridget Waller. Welcome to my site about family court proceedings. My involvement in family court was not a welcome one. Despite the difficulties experienced during that time, I focused on building my knowledge about family court proceedings rather than let the process bring me down. I created this site to share my knowledge with you all, in hopes that I can help others navigate family court proceedings with ease. I will explore every phase of the court process in great detail to help others better understand the proceedings. Please come by my site regularly to learn more. Thanks.